Content engagement is generally measured by how many people watch, like, share or read an article. However, these metrics are all very dependent on ranking high in search engines.
As a content creator, you probably want your readers to spend as much time engaging with your work as possible.
Why Should You Care About SEO?
So if you publish great content that people love reading, then couldn’t they just type your name into Google and come straight to your page? Well sure they could – but what about all of those other articles out there competing for attention too? Why should someone click on yours?
SEO can of course be used by business who dominate the field, but it’s a wonder why they’d bother if they can just pay for the ad space. There are multiple benefits and pitfalls to using SEO in your marketing strategy.
Generating natural traffic to your website seems like the perfect option when you’re trying to grow your customer base with very little investment. Search engine optimisation can provide reliable results within months. It’s a slow process to start with but is worth it in the end when you start to really see your number grow.
If you have a new article on your website, you can optimise it for specific keywords. The easier it is for Google to understand, the faster it will rank. Some articles may never gain traction with users but still be considered valuable content by search engines. This will boost your website’s credibility over time.
Having an arsenal of engaging content that has earned its right to succeed as well as harnessing SEO content is a sure-fire way to solidify yourself as an authority site in your niche.
How To Optimise Your Blog For Content Engagement
There are a few basic first steps you can use to optimise your own blogs and content already so make sure to review your current content.
Before content is published or even written you should focus on the title of your content, try to include keywords that are also long tail if possible and use standard punctuation to help draw users in. This means spaces rather than just underscores for example.
The first words should be the most important aspect of writing content online so put time into these words as they can really help content become found at a greater speed.
A main factor for google to understand your content is to make sure the way your content reads is easy. Readability is based on flesch reading scores, this focusses on sentence length and the usage of passive voice.
If you have content that has been around for a few months or years then it’s best to give them another look over from top to bottom and see what may need updating, removing or adding information wise. Use tools such as Grammarly to make sure your grammar and spelling is accurate. This is called the “content refresh method“
Different Types Of Keywords And How They Affect Content Engagement
There are so many different types of keywords used to aid SEO that it’s hard to go through all of them in just one section of this blog. In order to make this more digestible for a larger audience, we’re going to go through a few basics.
- Short keywords, these tend to be less than four words. They tend to be more competitive than long-tail keywords, as they have a very high search volume. Short tail keywords, from an audience perspective, are used when starting to research a topic.
- Long-tail essentially just means these keywords are longer, more than four words, so tend to be more specific.
- They are easier to rank for as they have a much lower difficulty than short-tail. This makes it easier to understand the user’s intent.
- Geo targeting essentially means it targets a specific region. If you’re focussed on local SEO or trying to build your customer base locally, then it’s key to know the keywords for your region. It can be as specific as a road name or even a city.
- Short term keywords are used when you want to take advantage of the hype surrounding a current trend or popular topic.
- Search volume tends to dramatically peak and then sharply drop very soon after.
- They can generate plenty of organic traffic for a short amount of time but then you will soon see a massive decrease.
- These keywords remain relevant, permanently. Search volume will fluctuate however will not change massively.
- It’s important to be maintaining your posts even when using long term keywords
- Updating content every once a year to ensure it stays relevant.
- The purpose of intent targeting keywords is linked to the idea of keywords having specific purposes. The user’s intent influences what the keyword is used for.
- Intent usually comes under three categories – Informational, Commercial, and Transactional
Further reading: Choosing the right keywords
Tips To Boost Content Engagement
There’s a few things you might already be doing to improve engagement for your content. You may be sharing it on your socials, this is a great way to advertise yourself as it’s completely free. Chances are though your followers are already quite familiar with your services and are engaging with your content.
SEO helps you to rank on top of googles search terms so that you can reach more people. You can pay for google ads however search marketing, if done right, can be more effective for a much lower cost.
- Use keywords to your advantage – remember the intent of your keyword, and how that is going to help you attract the correct audience for your content.
- Include a call to action – this improves your SEO score and will make google more likely to crawl your page. If people are sent to another blog post you have made or a contact page, the longer they stay on your site. This lowers your bounce rate which is why google is more likely to crawl it more frequently.
- Usage of images – including an image is going to be important aesthetically for the most part. The addition of alt text however, makes it your secret weapon.
- Usage of links – link to another page of your content or just a contact page. Internal links are an easy way to help you boost your SEO score.
Content Engagement : To Conclude
If you’ve been thinking about how to get more traffic and engagement on your blog, SEO is a great way to start. We’ve provided a few different types of keywords and their effect on content engagement rates, as well as tips for optimizing your blog for better results. Talk to one of our talented SEO experts today for your free audit. Feel free to contact us here if you are interested in our other services we offer.